Thursday, July 4, 2013

My First Payslip

I was sorting out some boxes of old papers and things when I found this envelope which I thought I had lost. The date on the letter is 1948 so I must have been five years old.  I got a 2/6 coin we called a half-crown.  It was worth a lot then even though in decimal money it would be only 12.5p.

My mother was an actress with the famous Glasgow Unity Theatre group and the play must have needed some small children.  The only thing I really remember is that I was also given a Cadbury's chocolate bar (remember sweets were strictly rationed) which was like a small box of Dairy Milk chocolates all fused together so that each piece had a different centre.  It must have blown my tiny mind because I can still see it in my hand!


No comments:

Post a Comment