Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fateful Detour

 
It's nearly two hours to Bergerac airport so I had to make a quick stop after dropping Marion off.  The first sign I saw was for a village called Issigeac (that's it in the photo), ten minutes off the main road.  It was a very nice place, a bit like Auvillar.  I found a bar and had a small beer in the shade.  From there, I headed towards another bigger old town I'd never been to called Montflanquin.

As I got to the roundabout at the edge of the town, there was an emergency sign indicating a car accident and lots of police and vans.  I was waved carefully past the accident by the gendarmes.  I wasn't able to see what had happened - all I could see was a dead body lying at the side of the road covered in a white sheet.  Maybe a pedestrian had been knocked down?  I thought it better not to stop at the town and kept following the TomTom instructions.  Two minutes later, I tried to take the road south towards Montjoi and I came upon another accident!  A car was stopped and a woman was standing in the middle of the road acting very distressed.  Again, I could not figure out what on earth was going on until I noticed a small brown dog, the colour of a dachshund, sitting in the middle of the road.  Only it wasn't really sitting, it was pleading.  It couldn't move because the car the woman had been in had run over its back legs.

By this time I was feeling really shocked and I was driving carefully down a long steep hill when a car on the other side decided to try and overtake.  It hadn't allowed for the fact that it was going uphill and would not be able to go as fast as he thought so he was heading straight for me.  I had to brake quite hard to let him have space. The car behind me got quite a fright too.

Next time, I will just stick to the main road, boring though it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment